Mars

Hi, The point (if there is a point) of this blog is to post liner notes and playlists of mix CDs originating from moi and hopefully fanning out into a chain of mix CDs. If you get a CD from me, make me and a friend one, and email me some liner notes and I'll post them. Then your friend should make you and someone else a mix CD etc etc. Maybe it will work PS If you want to be on my knit list, let me know what you want and I'll see what I can do!

Friday, November 03, 2006

Grow-ers vs Show-ers

This is not a cheap pathetic ploy to increase my site visits, but rather a philosophical treatise on the nature of friendship.

I feel like you can split your acquaintances into two camps; grow-ers, who may not strike you particularly the first few times you meet them, but subsequently you discover all kinds of wonderful hidden qualities that endear them to you more and more; and show-ers, who wow you the first time you meet them with their wit or looks or friendliness, but the more you know them, the more you realize their charms are rather limited. And occasionally you will meet a show-er and a grow-er, who both wows you at first meeting, and continues to provide an odyssey of discovery as you get to know them.

I think I'm probably a grow-er. I hope.

Well, this does lead rather nicely into the sordid tale of Ted Haggard, that Mykull first drew to my attention. Sooo - does this mean in the Christian Right list of naughty things to not get caught at, that drug abuse and a hand job from a male prostitute are less heinous than having sex with said prostitute? Also, in that article, I particularly enjoy this quote:

'Church member E.J. Cox, 25, called the claims "ridiculous." "People are always saying stuff about Pastor Ted," she said. "You just sort of blow it off. He's just like anyone else in the public eye."'

Yea, that's what he said.

It's a brave new world out there. Who 'won'? I'm going to be an optimist and say the open source kids.

Who are you going to vote for on Tuesday? Please give this poor uninformed voter some clues other than the Independant voter's guide.

Russell Simmons is doing his civic duty by persuading robots to vote. Or something like that.

10 Comments:

At 10:42 AM, Blogger mykull said...

E. J. Cox stands for Enjoys Juicy Cocks.

I definitely think you're a show-er and a grow-er, and also a flow-er.

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Marianne said...

Mykull got me all paranoid that people would be wondering if there was a precipitating event for this post, but it really is because a couple of people are proving to be grow-ers to me. So it's all good. As for you show-ers....

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger Joe said...

I've repeatedly felt that way about women I was interested in dating: if at first I was ambivalent, but then my interest went positive (I thought she was smarter or prettier or nicer or all three or more -- use your imagination), that was always good, or would have been good had I gone out with the person. The reverse -- well, you can imagine how that would go. The terminology you've come up with for it is nice; thanks.

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger mykull said...

sorry, didn't mean to make you paranoid! i just wanted you to approve oh how i grow and show to you through my living room window.

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

Oh I do approve. Especially when you point towards the North Star. It makes me want to vote.

 
At 11:43 PM, Anonymous Jerry said...

I'm voting for you on Tuesday, Marianne. And Mykull. Just let me know what offices you want me to write you in for. I think there are a couple of vacancies in the Soil and Water Conservation District Supervisors.

For what it's worth, you are both a show-er and a grow-er, in that you struck me particularly the first time I met you... and I still have the bruises to prove it. Then, on subsequent meetings, I discovered wonderful hidden qualities, such as the ability to NOT strike me, and I feel our friendship has grown.

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Marianne said...

It took all my willpower not to strike you. I'm glad it paid off!

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger pinky pinkerson said...

you are definitely a flow-er. Flower. not a flow-er like water or something red.

That came out horribly. now you're going to cross me off!

lately I've been feeling like everyone in my world has had traumatic/lifechanging events and no longer has the emotional space to entertain or engage with moi. Which makes me feel like a selfish bitch for even mentioning it.

but I had such a nice time on Sat that it gave me a little faith in humanity back :-)

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

Me too! I really enjoyed seeing everyone on Saturday as well. I love you all - you are all show-ers and grow-ers and flow-ers and glow-ers.

 
At 2:14 AM, Blogger Phil said...

April show-ers bring Scottish flow-ers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home