Mars

Hi, The point (if there is a point) of this blog is to post liner notes and playlists of mix CDs originating from moi and hopefully fanning out into a chain of mix CDs. If you get a CD from me, make me and a friend one, and email me some liner notes and I'll post them. Then your friend should make you and someone else a mix CD etc etc. Maybe it will work PS If you want to be on my knit list, let me know what you want and I'll see what I can do!

Sunday, September 18, 2005

Face/Off

Dick Cheney is undergoing surgery AGAIN. It seemed they found an ounce of compassion which needs to be excised. Actually, it's an aneurysm in his knee - is that the same as a varicose vein, because I thought only old ladies got those?. Is he a rat leaving a sinking ship, and looking for a graceful exit to enjoy his vacation home?(That last link has the only picture I've ever seen of Cheney smiling, albeit with only half his face).

Who are these odious, entitled children?. When I was in school in Scotland, we called them Hooray Henries, and I thought it was a vestige of the British class system. But it seems there are plenty of them here, including the dynasty we are now being ruled by. Though I do enjoy the schadenfreude of a junior Bush mugshot. Even though you know he's still destined for a life of privilege, either ruling the nation or getting blown by anonymous prostitutes.

This is really mind-blowing, especially the fact that your transplanted face will look like your pre-trauma face. It's amazing to think how much bone structure, muscles and mannerisms have to do with what you look like, rather than your features, and that even if another face is transplanted onto you, it will still look like yours. It's interesting to think how meaningful having 'your' face is, beyond any concerns of vanity, but how it shapes people's opinions of you and your own self-image. And I can't imagine what it would feel like to lose your face to disfigurement, and to regain it. That has to be a huge psychological adjustment.

Speaking of facial changes, my son got braces this week. They make him look even more adorable in my book, even though it's one more bill I have to pay. He really is my anchor in bad times like these, and he doesn't even know it. It's a great thing to have to be good ol' mom and do all the mom things that are expected of you to keep your life feeling meaningful, even though this makes me sound like a clueless throwback.

6 Comments:

At 5:04 PM, Blogger pinky pinkerson said...

but do you wear pearls and high heels when you vacuum? that's truly Reedsian.

for some reason I clicked on an article earlier this weekend about a young girl who was in a terrible accident, and her face was just....tragic. I doubt she's even eligible for a transplant like that, but if such a thing can give people like her hope, of course I'd be all for it.

 
At 6:33 AM, Blogger Marianne said...

I think it would freak out the sprog if I vacuumed in pearls and high heels - unless I put on some other clothes.

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger christa said...

a face. transplant. the mind boggles.

but i know someone who had "facial feminization surgery" earlier this year, and if i were to tell you the details of that procedure i suspect you'd agree that it was pretty similar to a face transplant. without actually transplanting a face.

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger J said...

didn't the sprog recently give you a pearl necklace?

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Marianne said...

Mykyll, you deserve a kick in the jewel box for that last comment!

 
At 1:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm, braces. Flavor savers for the pre-moustache set.

-Phil

 

Post a Comment

<< Home