Mars

Hi, The point (if there is a point) of this blog is to post liner notes and playlists of mix CDs originating from moi and hopefully fanning out into a chain of mix CDs. If you get a CD from me, make me and a friend one, and email me some liner notes and I'll post them. Then your friend should make you and someone else a mix CD etc etc. Maybe it will work PS If you want to be on my knit list, let me know what you want and I'll see what I can do!

Monday, July 25, 2005

Santorum

Sometimes I don't know why I watch the 'Today' show because it really, really annoys me. Katie Couric bugs me with her 'sexy girl reporter' glasses, and her fake, caring earnestness, and this morning she interviewed Rick Santorum, pitching his book, It Takes A Family (how clever). What a reactionary dickweed. Here's a quote from the book:

"What happened in America so that mothers and fathers who leave their children in the care of someone else -- or worse yet, home alone after school between three and six in the afternoon -- find themselves more affirmed by society? Here, we can thank the influence of radical feminism," Santorum writes.

"Sadly the propaganda campaign launched in the 1960s has taken root," said Santorum. "The radical feminists succeeded in undermining the traditional family and convincing women that professional accomplishments are the key to happiness."

Never mind that radical feminism has enabled me and many other single mothers to establish professional careers and buy homes so we can provide stable, loving families for our children. Never mind that families in poverty are less concerned than 'being affirmed by society' than with putting food on the table and providing a roof over their heads (prerequisites one would imagine for a happy family). Never mind that radical feminism has improved some families immensely by not being constrained by 'traditional' roles. Never mind that the whole notion of a 'traditional' family and a golden past era of idyllic families is totally bogus.

I wonder how supportive Mr. Santorum would be of implementing real family-friendly policies, like decent maternity and paternity leave, or a welfare system enables women to better themselves rather than being forced into minimum wage job?

Of course, he sets a superb example to his children of ethical behavior.

And while I'm in a rant mood, Wendy posted an excellent, hilarious, well justified rant. And read the comments too!

I had a fabulous time at the beach this weekend with Michael, Rebecky, Jesse, Pinky and Mr.P. Michael made me scream in bed. Actually this was due to our respective sleep disorders of sleep shouting and panicky dreaming and not my magical homosexual curative powers. And my son had a fabulous time with my neighbors, who planned this awesome fun weekend for him - I was very touched and grateful. How interesting that the kindest, most supportive people in my life are non-church going hard-core liberals. I'm just sayin'.

4 Comments:

At 8:44 AM, Blogger J said...

damn, this is a good rant! and katie couric can eat my hole. i'm just sayin'.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger pinky pinkerson said...

eat my hole! that's what John Waters thinks that Tourette's people say!

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

John Water's world is so much better than the real one.

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger christa said...

santorum was on "the daily show" last night. jon stewart got some good barbs into him. the program reruns at various times today (8pm and 11:30pm, to start), if you're interested in catching it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home