Mars

Hi, The point (if there is a point) of this blog is to post liner notes and playlists of mix CDs originating from moi and hopefully fanning out into a chain of mix CDs. If you get a CD from me, make me and a friend one, and email me some liner notes and I'll post them. Then your friend should make you and someone else a mix CD etc etc. Maybe it will work PS If you want to be on my knit list, let me know what you want and I'll see what I can do!

Sunday, October 16, 2005

Questions of the day

I saw these two related memes out there: which movie scenes make you cry and which make you laugh?

The crying one's easy:

  • Dumbo, where the mum elephant is locked up and she cradles Dumbo in her trunk. It bums me out just thinking about it.
  • The Snowman. The whole bloody thing - the music, the angelic singing, the fantastic animation, the idealized childhood in a country farmhouse, the inevitable melting scene. Oops, I didn't spoil it for you, did I?
  • Finding Neverland. That little Freddie Highmore is a phenomenal actor, and adds real pathos to kind of a cheesy tearjerker. Mykull and I bawled like babies when we saw this, much to the chagrin of my son.

    I also have to put in a shout out for the anti-drug commercial where the old lady is waiting for her grandkid to show up for dinner (except he or she is out getting wasted instead), and she optimistically rearranges the cutlery over and over again. Even the transcript is sad.

    And the ones that make me laugh:

  • Meet The Parents. The water volleyball scene makes me laugh everytime. The speedo, the social discomfort, the blood-letting. I know Ben Stiller is ubiquitous, but he's still hilarious.
  • Napoleon Dynamite. The dance scene of course. It's funny and heart-warming, and I know this is not a mainstream opinion, strangely sexy. Shut up.
  • The Big Lebowski. So many moments. Donnie's ashes blowing back all over everyone, da Jesus in his jumpsuit, Walter's Vietnam rants, the incessant swearing. Actually, anything the Coen brothers do is funny.

    And, I have to saw, just the sight of Rowan Atkinson's rubbery face.

    I'll add another question. Which movies can you never, ever watch again? Mine are:

  • Requiem for a Dream. My god, this movie is harrowing. I didn't even want to pop a Midol for weeks afterwards.
  • Trainspotting. The dead baby on the ceiling did it for me. Also, you need nerves of steel to to even read Irvine Welsh, in spite of the fact he's a fabulous writer. He'll sap any faith in the goodness of humanity out of you.
  • Dancer in the Dark. Bjork is amazing in this. Unfair, bad stuff just keeps on happening. And the end is just about unwatchable, it's so tragic. In my opinion, Lars Von Trier has a dark heart that's two sizes too small. Opinions, please, readers!

  • 4 Comments:

    At 8:50 PM, Blogger pinky pinkerson said...

    Requiem for a Dream is the most harrowing movie I've ever seen, bar none. I still have the shivers when I think about it.

    (although the Simpsons "ribwich" homage is damn funny)

    The final scenes in Mask and Schindler's List make me sob in that ugly way. Every time.

     
    At 7:34 AM, Blogger Marianne said...

    Sometimes, when I'm feeling particularly sorry for myself, I totally identify with Selma in DitD, because she's a single mom like me and has a degenerative eye condition like me. Except mine stopped and my son doesn't have it. And I'm not living with a sleazy cop landlord. And I can guarantee if I'm ever in court, Joel Grey will not be the surprise witness.

     
    At 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yes, the "Baby Mine" scene from Dumbo never fails to make me blubber.

    I also have quite a reaction to the scene when Artax dies in Neverending Story.

    But by far the scene in a film that makes me cry the most is from "She's Having a Baby". When Kevin Bacon is in the waiting room and the scene jumps from Elizabeth Whats-her-face bleeding copiously in the delivery room, back to Bacon, thinking of all the wonderful moments they had together, while Kate Bush sings "This Woman's Work". Ugh. Saddest. Song. Ever.

    For the funny: Bill Murray in Groundhog Day ("I'm both! A celebrity, in an emergency!!") and Ghostbusters ("Dogs and cats, living together, mass hysteria!"). The man is a genius.

     
    At 1:39 PM, Blogger christa said...

    laugh:
    joe vs. the volcano
    raising arizona

    cry:
    sophie's choice
    actually, just about everything i rent these days.

    also, i LOVED requiem for a dream. i don't know what this says about me, but i even have the DVD on my wish list.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home