Mars

Hi, The point (if there is a point) of this blog is to post liner notes and playlists of mix CDs originating from moi and hopefully fanning out into a chain of mix CDs. If you get a CD from me, make me and a friend one, and email me some liner notes and I'll post them. Then your friend should make you and someone else a mix CD etc etc. Maybe it will work PS If you want to be on my knit list, let me know what you want and I'll see what I can do!

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Venus and Mars

Somehow or another, I stumbled across this this link. It's a little pat but it cracked me up. I have to say, the very best boyfriend I ever had was a number three. Balding at twenty-two, pale and a little weedy, he was very, very, very smart, funny, kind and sexy. Of course, at the time I thought he was a little dull, but now... Maybe I need to go trolling here.

Anyway, it's all academic because I'm basically out of the game these days, but if anyone ever expresses an interest in me, I can more or less bet they're a number one. Or a special subspecies of number one who believes they are being compassionate by being interested in a single mother. Any right minded man would approach dating a single mother with extreme caution, and I have no respect for anyone who doesn't. And mushy talk equating single motherhood with being on a par with Joan of Arc in terms of bravery, self-sacrifice etc., etc., doesn't cut any ice with me. Which probably makes me some variant of a bitch. Oh well.

It also occurred to me while reading this that the existence of the word 'misogyny' is in itself misogynistic, just the whole concept of hating all women on principle. Is there a counterpart for hating men? I can't think of one. Misanthropy is just everyone.

Something else that makes my head hurt is this news: the American Council of Muslims denouncing terrorism. I can see this biting them in the butt. One man's terrorism is another man's pre-emptive invasion of another country as a result of a Shakespearean vendetta to avenge his father.

I feel a sense of anticipation that finally the heat-wave is going to break. I've been coming home and languishing on the couch going 'Mah, mah, I do declare this heat is something terrible, ah will have to loosen mah stays and sniff mah smelling salts. Beulah, fix me some of yo' lemonade now, d'you hear?' (in spite of the fact that my air-conditioning is cranked to 78 degrees and makes the house sound like it will launch any second).

Speaking of lemonade, I would really like this.

I'm beginning to think my link usage is getting a little cutesy. I'll try not to do it so much.

4 Comments:

At 10:10 AM, Blogger pinky pinkerson said...

Isn't Edwyn Collins in a bad way these days?

and I would suggest that stay-loosening is a must, in weather like this. although it wasn't heinous this morning, as I checked into my sealed vault for the day.

 
At 11:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I love that Bitch PhD blog! — rebecca

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

I know, I love it too, I looked at it for a bit and I want to go back and look at it some more. She has some really interesting posts about working mothers and being both a feminist and a mother (which of course I am - I don't know how you can be a single mother and NOT be a feminist, unless you buy into some lame rescue fantasy). (Jumps off soapbox)

And Pinky, I think Eddie had a cerebral haemorhage earlier this year and is recovering now.

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger A said...

Just cause I'm a word geek, I had to find the word.. so, since you wondered, the word for "man hater" is misandrist.

By the way, I just visited Scotland in June and I'm in lurve!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home