Mars

Hi, The point (if there is a point) of this blog is to post liner notes and playlists of mix CDs originating from moi and hopefully fanning out into a chain of mix CDs. If you get a CD from me, make me and a friend one, and email me some liner notes and I'll post them. Then your friend should make you and someone else a mix CD etc etc. Maybe it will work PS If you want to be on my knit list, let me know what you want and I'll see what I can do!

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Guilty as charged

Do you feel guilty? I feel guilty about so many things that I think guilt is a permanent state of being for me. Here are all the things that make me guilty:

  • Not spending enough time with my son
  • Not spending enough time at work
  • Not having the same things my son's friend's families have
  • Being an inattentive daughter, sister and friend
  • Living away from my family
  • Wanting to move near my family
  • Using up too many natural resources by having air conditioning, throwing away food and having too much stuff
  • Perpetuating sexism, racism and discrimination by not calling people out on tasteless jokes or remarks
  • Perpetuating sweatshops and bad working conditions by not seeking out ethical products or by being cheap
  • Bitching about other people
  • Having a shitty car
  • Not working out enough
  • Spending too much money
  • Being fat
  • Caring about being fat
  • Being too lazy
  • Spending too much time doing housework
  • Not dating
  • Having a libido
  • Acting like a submissive girlie
  • Being boring I know these make no sense at all, and that feeling guilty is pointless, but yet, I am. Of course, I feel guilty about my feelings of guilt.

    I do feel a little less guilty about the number of shoes I own. My God, I am a neophyte compared to some of these women, owning maybe twenty-five pairs. I figure in North Carolina, you have to have a lot of shoes - a good collection of sandals for the summer, and good winter shoes too, that can handle ice. Of course, I have huge feet, which might temper any shoe addiction I might have. I have a hard time embracing high heels, which would make me six feet plus.

    This whole terror plot that was foiled this week is fascinating to me. Here is a really interesting article about the roots of European Muslim extremism - basically a push-pull between two radically different cultures, mixed with poverty and discrimination, that affects second and subsequent generations Muslims. It certainly highlights to me that a war in Iraq does nothing to combat terrorism, and that perhaps addressing the socio-economic concerns that breed a generation who feel sufficiently disconnected from both their home country and their parent's ideology to embrace such extremism might.

  • 10 Comments:

    At 1:03 PM, Blogger pinky pinkerson said...

    I am guilty about many, many things.

    Luckily my large collection of mostly-unworn shoes does not inspire me to feel so bad.

     
    At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Guilt: a little bit of it can be a good thing. A lot will get you down. I think that at times guilt can be a motivator. If you overdo it, though, you suffer longer and harder than is strictly necessary.

    This morning I was feeling guilty about not having much in common with my dad. Why? Seriously, do you have to enjoy spending time with each of your relatives? No. And then I felt guilty that I hadn't spent all that much time with him. But when I called him today to do something he didn't call me back for ages. And then he told me he was going out of town. So really, I worried and felt guilt this morning for no good reason.

     
    At 9:02 PM, Blogger J said...

    i eat guilt for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a midnight snack. then i belch guilt. but it still won't go away. ever.

    mostly i feel guilty for not being just like jesus christ. who i think i don't even believe in. which makes me feel guilty.

     
    At 9:04 PM, Blogger J said...

    p.s. next time you are feeling overwhelmed with guilt, come on over and we'll drown our cares away in alcohol.

     
    At 11:26 PM, Blogger J said...

    i feel guilty for suggesting the use of pot and alcohol.

     
    At 6:34 AM, Blogger Marianne said...

    If you cured the murderous rage first then you would have to less to feel guilty about. Fire up the doobie.

     
    At 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I agree that in the triage of negative emotions, murderous rage should be taken care of before guilt.

    I feel guilty all the time. Mostly because I'm not more like Mykull, who I think I don't even believe in.

     
    At 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I've long posited that Mykull does not exist, Jerry. I'd invite him to my housewarming party sometime in September, but I bet he wouldn't come.

     
    At 3:01 PM, Blogger J said...

    i would come! in a silver vw beetle! someone left one in front of my neighbor's house--finders keepers!

     
    At 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    HA! Keep it! Just give me, oh, 7k bucks and you can have it!

    Wait. Actually, if you can drive a stick, I'll take you up on your offer to move MY car to MY new place. Kthanks! (happy chipper face, head tilt, blink blink)

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home