Mars

Hi, The point (if there is a point) of this blog is to post liner notes and playlists of mix CDs originating from moi and hopefully fanning out into a chain of mix CDs. If you get a CD from me, make me and a friend one, and email me some liner notes and I'll post them. Then your friend should make you and someone else a mix CD etc etc. Maybe it will work PS If you want to be on my knit list, let me know what you want and I'll see what I can do!

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

RIP TOTP

A huge part of my youth has come to an end - Top of The Tops is being pulled the air after 42 years.

I think Thursday evenings were sacrosanct for me from the age of about eight until about twenty-four or so, so I could watch Top of the Pops. It was a great, great show at a time when music was not available on demand like it is now.

Check out Duran Duran and their horrible lip-syncing - but didn't they look awesome? This clip reminds me so much of going out dancing with my girlfriends at the Student Union after drinking Black Russians and smoking up a storm in someone's dorm room, and teasing up our hair and putting on gobs of makeup. And having a humongous crush on my best friend's big brother, and hoping we would run into him, which we invariably did, and which imprinted me with being slightly turned on by stale beer breath. And from an earlier time, Queen. Now this reminds me of school dances which were always in the cafeteria which still smelled of custard and stew, and always ending up with the dweebie guy and being mortified about it, instead of accepting this as the natural order of things. And pretending not to be totally clueless, which I was until a scarily advanced age. Ah, memories. Ooh, I had to add this one too. I fucking love this song.

11 Comments:

At 7:03 AM, Blogger Marianne said...

I think the Keohanes are awesome too! As are you. Let me know next time they're in town.

 
At 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, The Teardrop Explodes! Awesome! I... know nothing about them, really, except that Julian Cope was their lead singer, and he sang "World Shut Your Mouth," which was a pretty good song. I have also heard of Duran Duran and Queen.

I guess the American counterpart to this would be "American Bandstand." Is that show still on?

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

Clay Aiken has totally spoiled my enjoyment of Julian Cope.

Dunno about American Bandstand - though I did like me some Soultrain.

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger J said...

is this song about jerry's slutty daughter???

"Brandy (You're A Fine Girl)"

There's a port on a western bay
And it serves a hundred ships a day
Lonely sailors pass the time away
And talk about their homes

And there's a girl, in this harbor town
And she works, laying whiskey down
They say "Brandy, fetch another round"
She serves them whiskey and wine

The sailors say "Brandy, you're a fine girl
What a good wife you would be
Yeah your eyes could steal a sailor
From the sea."

Brandy, wears a braided chain
Made of finest silver from the north of Spain
A locket, that bears the name
Of a man that Brandy loved

He came, on a summer's day
Bringing gifts, from far away
But he made it clear, he couldn't stay
No harbor was his home

The sailors said "Brandy, you're a fine girl
What a good wife you would be
But my life, my lover, my lady
Is the sea."

Yeah Brandy used to watch his eyes when he told his sailor's story
She could feel the ocean fall and rise, she saw it's raging glory
But he had always told the truth, Lord he was an honest man
And Brandy does her best to understand

At night, when the bars close down
Brandy walks through a silent town
And loves a man, who's not around
She still can hear him say, she hears him say

"Brandy, you're a fine girl
What a good wife you would be
But my life, my lover, my lady
Is the sea"

"Brandy, you're a fine girl
What a good wife you would be
But my life, my lover, my lady
Is the sea"

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger pinky pinkerson said...

whoa - that clip of Duran Duran just took me back WAY too fast. I think I need to sit down.

Clay Aiken spoiled what for who, now? Huh?

I met my high school boyfriend because of the Teardrop Explodes...how's that? :-)

(well, mainly because of the Smiths, but he lent me some TE records the first time he ever met me, because he liked me)

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Marianne said...

Very superficial equation: Clay Aiken + blonde wig + coolness + musical talent + 20 years - fundy Christianity - total lameness = Julian Cope.

 
At 10:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was the song that me and her momma used to dance to. Well, that one time we danced. It was either that song or "The Night Chicago Died." We were both pretty drunk. Anyway, after we broke up, when we found out she was pregnant, it seemed right to call the baby Brandy. To this day, Brandy loves hanging out with sailors. She's a rascal!

 
At 6:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

a) I loved Duran Duran. I was in middle school and hung (hanged is only for people, right?) posters of all of them up. Rowr.

b) I love Queen. Period.

c) I have never heard of that last song.

d) I also love the song Brandy.

e) Jerry, I don't know how to break this to you, but, um, I did your daughter. She was hot.

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

Yep, isn't she though? Though she told me she didn't usually do that kind of thing. Bitch.

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger J said...

brandy did my cats, too. (they've had better.)

 
At 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

She's been a busy gal, hasn't she? No wonder she's always too tired to go to her Jazz Choir practices.

Marianne, why are you calling Stewie "that kind of thing"?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home