Mars

Hi, The point (if there is a point) of this blog is to post liner notes and playlists of mix CDs originating from moi and hopefully fanning out into a chain of mix CDs. If you get a CD from me, make me and a friend one, and email me some liner notes and I'll post them. Then your friend should make you and someone else a mix CD etc etc. Maybe it will work PS If you want to be on my knit list, let me know what you want and I'll see what I can do!

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Happy Father's Day!

I want this T-shirt for Father's Day. I'm a piss poor father; I throw like a girl, and I can't hammer a nail in straight. I probably need an instruction book to fix a bicycle flat. My attempts at carving the turkey at Thanksgiving are less than Rockwellesque. I think I need to brush up my skills at fathers.com. Or I could buy this deeply politically incorrect book. I blame growing up with two sisters; I grew up a girly girl, apart from a year or so of being a tomboy when I was 11 or 12, and I am sadly deficient in manly skills and sadly proficient in very unfashionable girly skills.

Though maybe I'm not such a bad dad in a world where David Beckham is held up as a good example of a father. I don't think superlative fathers instigate newspaper articles like this one and this one.

Speaking of football, I feel for Ronaldo. Though as a fatty, I can't think of anything more weight-loss/getting into shape inducing than running around on a soccer pitch in front of the whole world, and the president of your country calling you fat in public. Good god, that would make me staple my stomach pronto.

I have been kind of sort of following the World Cup, and England have not been great so far, although they're doing ok in their group.

Back to parenting though, I'm enjoying the schadenfreude of uber-mom Marie Osmond enduring her rebellious daughters. It does make me want to keep my son ignorant of MySpace as long as possible.

14 Comments:

At 9:19 PM, Blogger pinky pinkerson said...

You know - that Marie Osmond thing just makes me think that the more you repress your kids, the more they will rebel just to show they can. And the Mormon lifestyle seems pretty repressive for hormonal teens.

 
At 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hadn't thought much about the verb "fathering" before I (briefly) visited fathers.com. Intersting that I immediately think of that word as a synonym of "siring" (e.g., getting somebody pregnant), whereas "mothering" implies an entire lifetime of child-raising.

I guess if my 16-year-old daughter was describing herself as a slut on the Internet, I'd be a little concerned, too. I don't think I'd tell the National Enquirer about it, though. Well, maybe I would, but I doubt they would care, since I'm not an Osmond, genetically.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

I didn't know you had a 16-year-old daughter, Jerry. But I might have suspected she would be a slut :)

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger J said...

jerry, i've met your 16-year-old daughter, and all i can say is: you should be concerned.

marianne, i have some little gifts for you. i will send them to your address.

 
At 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm having a hard time figuring out something to comment on here. But I wanted to comment, so here I am.

Yeah.

 
At 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You bet I'm concerned, Mykull. Tell me this: when you saw her, was she hypothetical? Because she was the last time I saw her.

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

Ooo, gifties! Thank you, Mykull

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger J said...

jerry, there was nothing hypothetical about her slutty outfit, that's for sure.

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

Except for her underwear.

 
At 10:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, my. I just hope she has hypothetical children of her own someday, so she'll know what grief she's putting me through. It's pure oirmoca.

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger J said...

jerry, your daughter has one 4-year-old and twins on the way. a woman that pregnant should *not* be wearing a tube top with a miniskirt and hypthetical underwear.

 
At 8:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Y'all can just kiss my ass! You don't know me! I do what I want!

 
At 8:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah! What she said!

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

I'm laughing my ass off here. Much as Brandy laughed off her hypothetical scanties.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home