Mars

Hi, The point (if there is a point) of this blog is to post liner notes and playlists of mix CDs originating from moi and hopefully fanning out into a chain of mix CDs. If you get a CD from me, make me and a friend one, and email me some liner notes and I'll post them. Then your friend should make you and someone else a mix CD etc etc. Maybe it will work PS If you want to be on my knit list, let me know what you want and I'll see what I can do!

Sunday, August 06, 2006

He Said, She Said

Here's an interesting perspective on the much vaunted shortage of women in science; a man who used to be a women, and some feedback about it. I think this is fascinating; in my workplace, although it's fairly egalitarian, certain tasks seem to fall along gender lines. And even though it shames me to admit it, I contribute to this by unfailingly taking on documentation and testing in lieu of more 'technically challenging' tasks. I think this is due to my own insecurity about my intellectual abilities, and so I want to do useful things. Somewhat akin to offering to do the dishes.

In Britain, both the church and the government are recommending giving up flying in order to have an ethical vacation, due to the vast amount of fuel burned in flight. It's a far cry from these recommendations, which although worthy, don't demand this kind of uncomfortable life change, which somehow seems un-American.

But those big house and big cars sure make people happy. Though high taxes and parental leave seems to make people VERY happy (see Denmark, Iceland and Finland). Whatever happiness is.

3 Comments:

At 9:14 PM, Blogger pinky pinkerson said...

reading barres' article made me feel rather queasy. not that any of it is especially a surprise.

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger J said...

it would be cool to see happiness rankings by state in the united states. minnesota would probably come in 1st. everyone there is so friggin happy and nice, it should be renamed procazesota. arkansas would probably come in last place. it should be renamed ass.

 
At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The people in "Fargo" seemed happy enough -- the ones who weren't actively involved in kidnapping plots or feeding their partners into woodchippers, that is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home