Mars

Hi, The point (if there is a point) of this blog is to post liner notes and playlists of mix CDs originating from moi and hopefully fanning out into a chain of mix CDs. If you get a CD from me, make me and a friend one, and email me some liner notes and I'll post them. Then your friend should make you and someone else a mix CD etc etc. Maybe it will work PS If you want to be on my knit list, let me know what you want and I'll see what I can do!

Friday, June 09, 2006

School's Out For Summer

For some reason, I always get a little bit excited when my son gets out of school for the summer, even though all it really means is we swap going to school for going to camp, and I have to make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches every day. I wish I could give him the experience of a lazy, carefree summer (hell, I wish I could give myself the experience of a lazy, carefree summer), but it is not to be.

I think someone ought to make a restaurant guide like this one for Durham. Hmmm.... somewhere to cheat on someone should probably be your place or their place because Durham is a small, small town, and you always run into someone you know. I think Francesca's would be a good place to dump someone, as they can always console themselves with cake and icecream, and not with alcohol. Someplace to take someone you only want to fuck....hmmm, somewhere with light, sexy food and good cocktails? God, I wouldn't know - any ideas? Place to make a scene? Somewhere with a controversial reputation - well, we're already in Durham. How about Blue Corn Cafe? - then your scene can spill out onto 9th Street.

This woman is inspiringly cheap. I would love to spend this little on food and eat so well. I do have some stock-piling impulse though, in that I always want to have a cupboard full of food. Since my recent 'troubles', though, (see last post), I have been cutting into my supplies some.

Well, I guess the World Cup has started in earnest. Of course, Scotland never had a prayer of qualifying. And apparently, a lot of Scots (including the First Minister) have decided not to support England. This is so typical of Scottish thinking - "Let's not support England, who might have a chance, but let's support Trindidad and Tobago". According to my mum, local bakeries are making England cookies, and they are being bought for the sole purpose of destruction in a spirit of sour grapes.

I don't know what to think about the death of Al-Zarqawi . Is it really going to make a difference? I just remember the jubilation after the capture of Saddam Hussein, and yet, did it decrease the violence in Iraq or lead closer to a resolution in the war? I find the dead face image very disturbing, as I did with the Husseins. To me, it seems inflammatory and dehumanizing, which I think is ultimately dangerous and destructive.

9 Comments:

At 6:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Muah ha ha! That Hillbilly housewife has some excellent links!

I'm going to blog about it. Thanks for the inspiration.

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Marianne said...

She kind of scares me a little bit. A bit too Christian and a bit too Survivalist. But I totally admire her budgeting expertise.

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Marianne said...

BTW, tomorrow my blog turns one!

It's so exciting I want to eqjxpee (yes, that's my verification word)

 
At 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whee!!!!! One year old blog eve!

I'm with ya on HH's scary undertones.

She's a little tbzgf, if you know what I mean.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger pinky pinkerson said...

I think I remember people talking about how the hillbilly housewife was a bit too gwmewafz, for their comfort. Maybe on metafilter? I don't remember.

Happy blog-anniversary!

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger J said...

happy blog anniversary! i'm totally kxshiging for you! (btw, i'm reporting you to the fbi for your anti-american sentiments about the iraq war. just fyi.)

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger Marianne said...

Thank you for the treats you lovely boy! I shared them with the FBI guys

 
At 9:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was always under the impression that dumping somebody in a public place was kind of a shitty thing to do. At least, I quickly came to be under that impression after I dumped somebody in a public place and was repeatedly scojql'ded for it afterward. I've spent the rest of my life searching for the laboratory-perfect conditions in which to dump people.

Happy blogmas, Marianne!

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger christa said...

i can't think of a single restaurant in durham where i'd want to wwkqhm with someone! (though el rodeo comes to mind, given how quickly they serve food there.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home