Mars

Hi, The point (if there is a point) of this blog is to post liner notes and playlists of mix CDs originating from moi and hopefully fanning out into a chain of mix CDs. If you get a CD from me, make me and a friend one, and email me some liner notes and I'll post them. Then your friend should make you and someone else a mix CD etc etc. Maybe it will work PS If you want to be on my knit list, let me know what you want and I'll see what I can do!

Sunday, September 03, 2006

If music be the food of love....

Paris Hilton has been targeted by a "guerilla artist". You have to wonder if this is some kind of viral marketing - I mean, it's hard to imagine that Paris Hilton could sell any CDs at all without a stunt like this.

This is probably a factor of my age, growing up in the era of the blistering guitar solo, but I like this video:

And there are some artists who have unusual ways of dealing with stage fright.

What songs have been ruined for you by the vagaries of your romantic life?

This song will simultaneously make me sad and horny; it reminds me of my first serious, real grownup heartbreak.

Apparently, your romantic success can be predicted by your lips (the ones on your face, I hasten to add). It appears if you have thinner lips, you have better luck with relationships. I think men with full bottom lips are sexy, but I think a man with full top lips too can kind of look feminine.

Here's an interesting subject for a graphic novel.

7 Comments:

At 5:51 PM, Blogger J said...

That song and music video were lovely. How did Danny Wilson pass me by? I don't even remember hearing the song during "There's Something about Mary." Now I feel an empty place in my heart.

In high school I would listen to Dead Can Dance and Cocteau Twins over and over and over in my bedroom at night while pining for the love of my life, class president and star soccer player Jay Rudman, who I thought would never fall for a skinny, geeky, gay boy like me.

 
At 6:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Broken Wings" makes me think of my current obsession: Dave Neuhaus. Sigh. I am in love with him now.

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

Do I even need to tell you where Danny Wilson are from?

I heard that Jay Rudman and Dave Neuhaus eloped to Canada together. Just thought you should both know.

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger J said...

I am so kicking Dave Neuhaus's ass.

 
At 11:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some facts about people who like "Mary's Prayer." I remember hearing this song when it came out, and it brings strong associations of sadness and uneasiness, although I can't imagine what the big deal might have been back in 1987. Probably something having to do with how nobody understood me.

I would say that "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel was ruined for me by the gal who broke my heart when I was 17, because that was Our Song. Except that A), I'm pretty much over that now, and B), I didn't really like the song all that much even back then. I would also like to stress that "In Your Eyes" was Our Song way before it was John Cusack and Ione Skye's song.

I know I have better heartbreak song stories, but I just can't think of them now.

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger pinky pinkerson said...

that version of pachelbel's canon made me laugh. somehow i can't see brides being played down the aisle like that.

and i doubt that carly simon story is real. how could it be real?!

the only song ruined for me that i can think of off the top of my head is "save a prayer" by Duran Duran. I'm sure there are many more.

 
At 7:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marianne: DON'T even go there. Dave went to Canada, yes. But it was WITH ME and THE BAND for our BAND TRIP to TORONTO in 1987! He bought a Roots sweatshirt.

I'm kicking Mykull's ass, cause nobody touches MY DAVE and gets away with it. Jesus we have to find me a man, cause I can't survive much more of this pining.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home