Mars

Hi, The point (if there is a point) of this blog is to post liner notes and playlists of mix CDs originating from moi and hopefully fanning out into a chain of mix CDs. If you get a CD from me, make me and a friend one, and email me some liner notes and I'll post them. Then your friend should make you and someone else a mix CD etc etc. Maybe it will work PS If you want to be on my knit list, let me know what you want and I'll see what I can do!

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Career Girl

I've had a couple of kind of shitty days at work, but immediately felt better after I found this today. To get the full beauty of this psychosis inducing game you need to scroll down to the bottom. I would be disqualified multiple times on multiple grounds for any one of the four exciting careers open to career girls in 1966. I wonder what career a misfit like me would have had in 1966? Sewage farm worker? Prison guard? Hooker?

I'm so glad we've evolved to this, and now we focus on what's really important. Cameron is s-o-o-o dreamy.

My son and I went to the Open House for Charter Middle School. They do a really cool thing - they start each day with 20 minutes of silent reading. I would have loved that when I was at school. And they have a uniform, which I am ambivalent about, having grown up with a uniform. I know men here get all hot and bothered about schoolgirl uniforms but believe me, the reality is not Britney-Spears-mini-kilts-and-blouse-open-to-navel. The reality is worsted grey knee socks with flat Mary janes or oxfords, itchy knee length pleated skirts, buttoned up to the neck shirts, curve eliminating sweaters and no makeup. Even the dewiest, most coltish teenager (and believe me, I was not) looks like a giant frumpy hairball.

When did Dave Matthews turn into James Gandolfini? He's really scary looking, and J-Ro is looking wierdly plasticky and are those white-girl dreads? Yuck.

I just love imitating this woman. I'm really good at it too, probably due to the fact that my mum wanted me to talk with that plummy Home counties accent, and some of it did rub off on me I guess. My son and I sing 'Baby's got Back' and 'Milkshake' like Mary Poppins, and it makes us laugh every time. We also made up some new lyrics to 'Favorite Things' that my son insisted I post:

Soft little kittens all simmered in gravy
A ten year stint in the Russian navy
Cute bug-eyed puppies all tied up with string
These are a few of my favorite things

Sweet little orphans left out in the cold
Yummy swiss cheese all covered in mould
Beautiful song-birds without any wings
These are a few of my favorite things

When the dog farts. And it smells bad. And you're feeling blue
I simply remember my favorite things, and then I-I say 'Screw you'

7 Comments:

At 10:16 PM, Blogger J said...

i think your son has a brilliant career in broadway ahead of him.

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger pinky pinkerson said...

I LOVE your version of favorite things. We had to sing it in #@@!!! choir in elementary school, and your version is vastly preferable.

That career girl game made me sad. Plus, it's good to know I'm a slow thinking, so airline hostess is right out for me.

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

I have just spent my lunch hour dressing and undressing David Beckham (just the paper version unfortunately, well the virtual paper one).

The one thing I like about that game is 'Being Emotional' is seen as a Good thing. So angrily throwing peanuts in your airline passenger's faces, or pinching your geriatric patients really hard is ok as long as you look pretty when you do it and don't smudge your makeup.

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

I think our boy Viggo is not big on shoes because every single interview he does they always make a big deal about how bohemian and barefoot he is. So maybe that's why paperdoll Viggo only has two pairs.
Are his feet sexy? I have no idea, but they are attached to his legs so sexy by association.

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger pinky pinkerson said...

mmmm....viggo. especially when he's all dirty.

and I just realized that I made an error in my comment above, which pains me greatly.

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Marianne said...

That's because you're slow thinking, Pinky. (Actually, I'm hard pressed to think of anyone less slow thinking than you, but the setup was right there and I couldn't resist)

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

I love that Negativland remix! Now I need to go buy some nosecream

 

Post a Comment

<< Home