Mars

Hi, The point (if there is a point) of this blog is to post liner notes and playlists of mix CDs originating from moi and hopefully fanning out into a chain of mix CDs. If you get a CD from me, make me and a friend one, and email me some liner notes and I'll post them. Then your friend should make you and someone else a mix CD etc etc. Maybe it will work PS If you want to be on my knit list, let me know what you want and I'll see what I can do!

Saturday, August 06, 2005

MythBusters II

Here are some more myths - this time about being Scottish, and Scotland, and the truth:

You must really like Celtic music

I feel a bit guilty about this one, because I'm completely indifferent and ignorant about it. It's not something I ever considered being interested in until people starting talking to me and assuming I knew who Silly Wizard and Alisdair MacDonald are. I'm just not that into it which brings me to the second myth...

I bet you know a song about that

I think people think I grew up in a bothy playing the fiddle and singing about the events of the day. Suprisingly enough, these were probably much the same as your average American teenager's daily events - crushes, exams, avoiding gym and how many calories I ate. Not when the herring fleet is coming back, or how my new tartan is coming along, or should I cook my porridge for one overnight or two. I have a neighbor who always asks me this no matter what the circumstances are: 'Hey Marianne, I see it's the 60th anniversary of Hiroshima - I bet you know a song about that'. I don't.

You're a cheap bastard

Actually, this one is true.

The Scottish climate shits in bed

Well, it does and it doesn't. I can definitely remember some summers growing up when I never, ever actually felt warm. But right now, I think that beats two months of 90 degree plus days - now that qualifies as serial fecal incontinence if you ask me.

I have a great uncle from Scotland.. or is it Ireland?

Yeh-up.

And I do like oatmeal, whisky, and brawny men in kilts with no drawers.

My son and I decided to stop at Rose Hill: Home of the World's Biggest Frying Pan on the way home from the beach. It was less than overwhelming. I had an image of a huge skillet thrusting skyward like some culinary Stonehenge. Instead it resides in a bandstand and looks resolutely industrial, like some kind of smelter. And it reeks of stale fried chicken (speaking of which, it always used to amuse me when KFC was on 15-501 and was next door to Jiffy-Lube).

10 Comments:

At 8:55 AM, Blogger J said...

my friend wants to learn how to play the bagpipes. can you teach him? i'll see you at 3 for some tea and lorna doones.

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

You provide the tune....

Serial fecal incontinence
Can really ruin your confidence
It can get you on the run
And spoil your unfecal fun

And bagpipe playing is impossible too
When your pants are full of poo
A kilt seems like a good idea
When you have rampant diarrhea

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger pinky pinkerson said...

you know, when my spirits are flagging during the day, all it takes is some Scottish scatlogical bagpipery, and I am right as rain again.

and yesterday Mr. P. said that something "shit the bed." and now you. I have previously been unaware of this saying. are you two in cahoots?

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

Mr. P, we've been busted! No more shitting in bed for us.

 
At 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang.

Time to send the rubber sheets back to The Incontinent Company Store.

By the way, your delightful poem sounds even better if you imagine being read by Ewen McTeagle.

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

The Braille for 'serial fecal incontinence' can be a bit squishy sometimes.

 
At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crikey!

You omit one "it" and you get endless amounts of shite!

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger Marianne said...

Or endless amounts of shie

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Marianne said...

oops supposed to be endless amounts of she (shie is not quite so funny)

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger Andrew Ironwood said...

I know at least one tune about Hiroshima...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home