Mars

Hi, The point (if there is a point) of this blog is to post liner notes and playlists of mix CDs originating from moi and hopefully fanning out into a chain of mix CDs. If you get a CD from me, make me and a friend one, and email me some liner notes and I'll post them. Then your friend should make you and someone else a mix CD etc etc. Maybe it will work PS If you want to be on my knit list, let me know what you want and I'll see what I can do!

Saturday, November 12, 2005

43

Tomorrow I will be 43 years old - I can't believe I'm that old. I thought I would have it all figured out by now. Actually, what's more meaningful to me is it's ten years since my annus horribilis (2 'n's people), the (hopefully) worst year of my life. I've been thinking about it a lot recently, and I'm still not really over it. Here's what I learned that year:

  • It's far lonelier to be in a bad relationship than to be on your own
  • When you catch your spouse with anti-nausea medication and pills for the DTs, they ain't for acid reflux
  • Always check the MIDDLE of your check book for missing checks
  • If you haven't received your tax refund by August, chances are it's already coursed through someone's veins
  • If someone you work with pursues you manically, even though you are going through seperation hell with a baby, RUN!!! You're not that wonderful - they're just that desperate.
  • Sometimes, you are better off never knowing the gruesome details, especially when they involve one or more of the following: infant son, illicit drugs, your money, bad parts of LA

    Anyway, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see why I am so close to my son, and why I'm so conflicted about the idea of a committed relationship. I hope this will change at some point, but I haven't really had a compelling reason to so far, other than friends nagging me that I should date or try and meet someone. Mykull and I have decided that, should that day come, my match.com profile should be 'Overweight, immigrant single mother'. That'll reel 'em in.

    This is a fun quiz. Apparently, I think in a stereotypically feminine way - that is, can't read maps or manipulate objects spacially, but can read faces and empathize. Not only that, but my scores are very high on the girly stuff. I'm sort of bummed about it, to be honest, which is probably also a feminine thing, to value masculine traits more than feminine.

    Speaking of feminine, check out this attempt to help the environment. I can't say I've ever been aware of my breasts being cold, ever. My arms, my legs, my midsection (especially since I'm 5' 10" and most of it is in my torso, thus tops are never long enough), and sometimes my ass if I sit on a wall or something, but never, ever my boobs (which make handy earmuffs if you're that way inclined).

    Anyway, here are some famous people who share my birthday who seem way more Scorpionic than I (Chris Noth, Gerard Butler, Jean Seberg). Some pretty damn good looking company.

  • 3 Comments:

    At 12:36 PM, Blogger J said...

    happy birthday, single immigrant mother!!!

    i scored dead in the middle on the quiz. maybe b/c i'm a hermaphrodite.

     
    At 9:20 AM, Blogger pinky pinkerson said...

    happy belated birthday, beautiful!

    and I would write you a much more flattering profile. don't forget to mention the lilt.

     
    At 5:35 PM, Blogger christa said...

    what phil said!
    i did the first step of the quiz (scored 18 of 20 correct guesses on the lines, making me very manly in my spatial discernment) then got impatient and quit. which probably balances things out and tips the scale towards "girly". yeah?

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home