Mars

Hi, The point (if there is a point) of this blog is to post liner notes and playlists of mix CDs originating from moi and hopefully fanning out into a chain of mix CDs. If you get a CD from me, make me and a friend one, and email me some liner notes and I'll post them. Then your friend should make you and someone else a mix CD etc etc. Maybe it will work PS If you want to be on my knit list, let me know what you want and I'll see what I can do!

Monday, November 07, 2005

Farmer's Market

I think there are only two more weekends at the Durham Farmer's Market. Mykull and I have developed a cozy little Saturday morning routine. First, we go knock on our friend Milton's door (he lives opposite the market) and usually wake him up. Then we get coffee and carrot raisin muffins and either sit in Central Park or on Milton's porch. Then we talk about the issues of the day and people watch.

This week, we were sitting on Milton's porch (while he wasn't there) when some guy parked his big ole ugly SUV right by Milton's mailbox. This while there were plenty of parking spots in the Farmer's Market parking lot. So we wrote him a little note (on the back of some lyrics for a music recital I went to a little while ago, which added a nice touch). This is what the note said, because we believe in a higher parking power (I'm sure Mykull will correct me if I missed something):

Dear Child of God:
God in His infinite wisdom has provide a parking lot for you to park in. Also, God appeared to me in a vision and told me you should drive a smaller car. Have a blessed day, love, your Brethren in Christ.

Then we secluded ourselves and waited for him to come back. Of course, he didn't but it didn't stop us giggling about it.

I hope this will finally put all the Intelligent Design bullshit to rest. Although, I think this is often served up as just a more palatable form of creationism because creationism boosters recognize it's totally wacky shit.

I'm sad that John Fowles has died. I went to see him at a book reading when I was in my twenties, and I just wanted to throw myself at him and tell him: 'I want to have your genius cantankerous babies, never mind that you're old enough to be my grandpa'. I love The Magus and The Ebony Tower. And this was a much better book than the movie. Though I do have a sneaking suspicion that the description of him being 'cantankerous' may have been being kind.

In Britain, they just celebrated the 400th Guy Fawkes night. This basically celebrates an unsuccessful attempt at terrorism, and is sort of all mixed up with Halloween in my childhood memories. I grew up in a fishing village, and they would use up all the out-of-date flares from the fishing boats as fireworks, and have a huge bonfire on the beach and cook potatoes and sausages in the embers. Fireworks seem so much better to me on a cold, twinkly night than on a warm, muggy one.

I saw Capote, and I highly recommend it. I think everyone has heard that Philip Seymour Hoffman's portrayal of Truman Capote is amazing, considering he looks nothing like Mr. Capote. But I also thought the cinematography was absolutely stunning, though it makes me never want to live in the mid-west.

I see that Stacked is coming back for a second season. I think Pamela Anderson is quite pretty, in a sort of trollopy way, but her plastic surgery is heinous. And being Jessica Rabbit is a young woman's game. There comes a point where slapping on more makeup doesn't make you look younger but just makes you look like a trannie, especially when your breasts are big orange globes of fakitude, and Pammie has definitely passed that point.

5 Comments:

At 10:46 PM, Blogger pinky pinkerson said...

dude! i have a six-degrees-of-kevin-bacon with the curly-haired gal from Stacked!

(and I'm shocked it got renewed - Pam's shtick is getting weird as she gets older)

 
At 6:46 AM, Blogger Marianne said...

Pinky - let's hear your six degrees! I have a s-d-o-k-b with Beck which I hope will somehow parlay into a meeting one day, and then I can wrest him away from the clams. My old BF in LA is friends with a guy who makes furniture who has had pieces comissioned by Beck. Also said old BF`was in a band and they played a session in a studio with Dave Grohl's drumkit. So I have s-d-o-k-b with a musical instrument too.

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger J said...

someone knocked on my door early this morning. my bed head hair was about a foot high and i was wearing only boxers. i peered through the window portion of the door and saw two jehova's witnesses. i quickly ducked to avoid them spotting me, but i don't think it worked. they kept knocking. but i never answered. i think god is punishing me for our little prank on the suv driver.

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Wendy said...

I am so fucking jealous that you get to go to the Durham Farmer's Market every Saturday. Has anyone else tried to talk to you about the Lord lately?!!

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

They don't need to because, as you can see, we already have Him in our heart (but they may put something in the muffins)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home