Mars

Hi, The point (if there is a point) of this blog is to post liner notes and playlists of mix CDs originating from moi and hopefully fanning out into a chain of mix CDs. If you get a CD from me, make me and a friend one, and email me some liner notes and I'll post them. Then your friend should make you and someone else a mix CD etc etc. Maybe it will work PS If you want to be on my knit list, let me know what you want and I'll see what I can do!

Monday, February 20, 2006

Fings ain't wot they used to be

Britain is a little behind the times in rejecting psychodynamic therapy. I have never had therapy, but traditional Freudian therapy does not appeal to me at all, whereas I would definitely like to try cognitive behavioural therapy. It seems much more practical and useful; plus, I have always had the opinion that the therapist is a flawed human being too; who are they to tell me what's wrong with me? Having a therapist as a coach who is not involved in the personal mess of your life does seem eminently sensible.

And this is a pretty different take on our ancestors, with fairly profound societal implications. As a feminist, I think this is very interesting; our ancestors co-operated to fend off predators and protect their young. So this current dog-eat-dog, selfish materialism that seems endemic is really not natural to humans. And it is having some very really negative consequences; it's hard to contemplate raising children knowing you will be penalized. Not that I'm espousing 'family values' - I just wish the dominant value system was not based on the almighty dollar, and that raising, teaching and caring for children was not so undervalued and undersupported.

Scientists are trying to create lower calorie fruit. Does this seem like an enormous waste of time? How many people are fat because they ate too much fruit?

I finally listened to the Arctic Monkeys after reading about them for months and months. I like them but I'm not really overwhelmed. Maybe I need to keep listening....

4 Comments:

At 7:09 PM, Blogger pinky pinkerson said...

I have the arctic monkeys but haven't listened to it yet. I have determined that I just like to collect music - the actual listening is way too much trouble.

and I doubt anyone has ever gained significant weight from eating too much fruit. there seems to be a built-in failsafe mechanism there. i've never seen a fat monkey, and they love bananas, which I practically wasn't allowed to eat as a fat child/perpetually dieting teenager.

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger pinky pinkerson said...

okay, so I listened. it's sort of like Franz Ferdinand but more rough-n-ready.

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

Yep, that's what I thought, with a little hint of non-reverb Strokes (or whatever that off-putting effect is). Not too original but not bad.

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger J said...

i heard the arctic monkeys for the 1st time today. kind of like a cross between franz ferdinand and joe henry.

meh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home