Mars

Hi, The point (if there is a point) of this blog is to post liner notes and playlists of mix CDs originating from moi and hopefully fanning out into a chain of mix CDs. If you get a CD from me, make me and a friend one, and email me some liner notes and I'll post them. Then your friend should make you and someone else a mix CD etc etc. Maybe it will work PS If you want to be on my knit list, let me know what you want and I'll see what I can do!

Thursday, January 12, 2006

We've come a long way baby...

Martin Luther King Day is just around the corner, and it made me think, even though we have a ways to go until we have a color-blind society, that we've progressed quite a bit since I was a kid. Especially if you think institutionalized racism reflects societal attitudes in general. And yes, I have been called a sheep-shagger before, by an insensitive English person (note my linguistic restraint).

Believe it or not, when I was growing up in Scotland, the Black and White Minstrel Show was considered wholesome family entertainment. Luckily my mum was kind of ahead of her time, and would switch off the TV when it came on. But she still bought marmalade which had little paper golliwogs stuck under the label that you collected to get a brooch. Weirdly enough, this is a purely British artifact of racism.

That WeightWatchers commercial with Cher singing makes me want to either dress up in major drag like a Vegas show girl or do a song and dance routine on an aircraft carrier. But it doesn't make me want to go on a diet, even though the song clearly underlines the fate of the fat.

I was watching Dancing With the Stars, and I can't imagine their budget for self-tanner with George Hamilton and Lisa Rinna in the cast. Plus George Hamilton looks like Nixon, which adds a whole other level of entertainment to the show. And I love that particular breed of tightly trousered, oily coiffured, squirm inducing and deeply disturbing male dancer they have on the show.

1 Comments:

At 11:03 PM, Blogger pinky pinkerson said...

I had a little toy corgi car when i was a kid that I think was a "noddy" car - there was a golliwog character sitting right inside. i have no idea where it came from.

and yes, the cher/weightwatchers thing is painful. have you seen the "have you been the fattest girl in the room/the only one with nothing to wear?" it sort of makes me want to hang myself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home