Mars

Hi, The point (if there is a point) of this blog is to post liner notes and playlists of mix CDs originating from moi and hopefully fanning out into a chain of mix CDs. If you get a CD from me, make me and a friend one, and email me some liner notes and I'll post them. Then your friend should make you and someone else a mix CD etc etc. Maybe it will work PS If you want to be on my knit list, let me know what you want and I'll see what I can do!

Monday, March 13, 2006

Economy Edition

Seeing as I am such an aficionado of thrift stores and bargain shopping, here are some great deals to be had in Durham:

Habitat for Humanity Hand-Me-Up Store
I have gotten some amazing deals here; a dining table, sideboard and six chairs for $300, and a bedroom suite for my son for $200. Plus it raises money for a good charity and their delivery is really cheap. And they deliver on a Saturday! Also, every time I've been, they have had great kitschy art - paintings on velvet, sad clowns, Kincaidesque landscapes.

Grannie's Panties
That picture of the granny on their website is pretty scary. This is a great place for dishes, bowls, glasses and kitchenware. The furniture can be a bit pricey. I buy 'disposable' pie plates for a buck apiece then when I make a pie to take to someone's house, I don't worry about getting the plate back. Last time I went, they had a clawfoot tub and an old washer/wringer out front, plus some beautiful (and very tiny) clothes from the turn of the century. That's the turn of the last century folks. I have also bought wool from here - I guess old ladies die without finishing off their yarn stash.

TROSA Framing
This is an incredible deal - about half the price of anywhere else you care to get pictures framed, and they do a fabulous job. I like to frame my son's art; plus my sister is an artist and my mum has done some pretty killer Chinese brush painting, so I have plenty of things to frame.

Cosmic Cantina
Cheap, filling, healthy and delicious. The tortillas they use here must be the size of a bath towel.

Thrift World
Great thrift store. I have purchased some great clothes from here, plus they have a good book selection. They usually have some pretty good furniture too. This is one to visit regularly and keep on top of their stock.

Nearly New Shoppe
This is a pretty good little thrift store, where you can gette a goodde bargainne. The clothes are a little more hotsy-totsy than your average thrift store, which I attribute to professorial donations, but the prices are great.

In completely unrelated news, that Beep, beep commercial is driving me around the fucking twist. Ear worm much? And do you think 13 Stories is trying just a tad too hard?

7 Comments:

At 11:39 PM, Blogger J said...

i want to friggin murder the woman who sings that beep, beep song. and then i want to donate her body parts to the habitat for humanity hand-me-up store.

 
At 3:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grannies Panties just freaks me out a little too much. I don't think I could go in there, not even to buy the body parts of the woman who sings the beep, beep song, not even if they were a total bargain.

 
At 3:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, the tortillas at Cosmic Cantina work great as a chamois for drying your car. And SO MUCH cheaper!

And also also, LOCO POPS!!!!!!! One thin DOLLAR, for all that deliciousness? Amazing.

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

How could I forget? Three words - white. chocolate. mocha.

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger pinky pinkerson said...

I have enjoyed a Cosmic Cantina burrito many a-time, but now I won't be able to eat one without thinking about drying myself off or buffing the car.

I never do well when thrifting. almost all my things are purchased new, lacking any soul.

although i do own a pale-green cowboy shirt that is awesome. that is actually very old.

(and gah, that commercial SUX)

 
At 7:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I <3 Thrift World, and the Goodwill on Garrett Rd. can have some good stuff in it too. I'm taking the day off today so maybe I'll head out that way, after making the soda bread and hopefully sewing a skirt to wear tonight at the Par-Tay.

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

I forgot - the Durham Public Library sales! Should be one coming up soon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home