Mars

Hi, The point (if there is a point) of this blog is to post liner notes and playlists of mix CDs originating from moi and hopefully fanning out into a chain of mix CDs. If you get a CD from me, make me and a friend one, and email me some liner notes and I'll post them. Then your friend should make you and someone else a mix CD etc etc. Maybe it will work PS If you want to be on my knit list, let me know what you want and I'll see what I can do!

Monday, March 06, 2006

Oscar the Grouch

I watched (as it turned out) most of the Oscars with a bunch of fun people. I'm very happy Minty co-won the pool, as she certainly did her homework with focused tenacity, only leaving a couple of Oscar nominations unwatched.

Well, the Oscars were one of those frequent occasions where America is watched by the world; check out what my compatriots think about this country. When I was growing up, my stereotype of Americans was an imaginary middle-aged couple called Nancy and Hiram, who talked very loudly in nasal mid-western accents. Hiram wore Hawaiian shirts, black socks and sandals, and had a big stogie wedged in the corner of his mouth. Nancy was definitely pear-shaped, a bit naive, and dressed in pastels. I've never met an American remotely like either one of them.

I do remember the American exchange students at the University of Aberdeen, where I studied. They looked really, really wholesome, but they were fairly slutty, which I think is definitely the perogative of the exchange student.

Now, I like beer. And I like ice-cream. But both at once? I'm not too sure about that. I would rather have a bottle of my favorite beer, and some really good vanilla on the side.

I am so going to create my own magazine cover one day.

From Metafilter, the draw a pig personality test. Don't really know what to say about this one other than it's deeply silly.

Check this out - the Guardian Health Editor thinks every birth should be a C-section. Certainly, giving birth seems unusually perilous for humans compared to most mammals. But you just need to gather a bunch of women, and I think the horror story to no big whoop story is about even. I fall in the no big whoop category, but I think being a strapping lass with a high pain threshold definitely helped.

If children are not for you, here's some surprising news about Walmart. Though it still has it's conscientous objector policy, a la Target. Who are these pharmacists who will not provide emergency contraception (or even birth control)? If you felt this strongly, wouldn't you choose another line of work?

2 Comments:

At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Co-won? No no, I took home ALL that money! And I'm not sharing. Well, maybe a little, if you ask nice.

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger christa said...

yeah, minty won outright. michael & i co-came-in-second.

i would've won, though, had i picked crash!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home