Mars

Hi, The point (if there is a point) of this blog is to post liner notes and playlists of mix CDs originating from moi and hopefully fanning out into a chain of mix CDs. If you get a CD from me, make me and a friend one, and email me some liner notes and I'll post them. Then your friend should make you and someone else a mix CD etc etc. Maybe it will work PS If you want to be on my knit list, let me know what you want and I'll see what I can do!

Monday, March 20, 2006

March On

There's a new magazine that's just been launched in Britain, Karen, which already has a cult following. I think this is a great idea. It's much more fascinating to peak into real lives than fake ones made up by some publicist. It's the same thing that makes going to a foreign supermarket (or here, shopping at a Tienda) more interesting than going to a tourist hotspot. Somehow, to get a peek into someone from another country's banal everyday life; the food they eat, the soap they use, the car they drive is infinitely more fascinating than hearing a tourist guide trot out some blurb you could read from a pamphlet at the visitor center.

I was amazed to realize that John Profumo has only recently died. For some reason, I thought he had croaked ages ago. He was involved in a juicy Judith Exner-esque scandal, sleeping with a call-girl who also slept with a Russian spy, which became the basis of (of course) Scandal, one of my favorite movies. Joanne Walley is so hot in this film. And both the leading men are gay, which is kind of interesting.

This website is a horrible idea - you send in pictures of shameful things, like your kid's messy room or your best friend dancing on the table, and the photo is posted on the website. What a nasty, passive-aggressive thing to do. If anyone did this to me, you can be sure I will wreak terrible Scorpionic revenge on them.

I would really like to see Big Love, but being the cheap bastard I am, I only have basic (not even standard) cable. I've always thought that polygamy was not a bad idea, as long as it's egalitarian and not a weird Mormon patriarchal thing. I imagine it would keep everyone on their toes and cut down on any primadonna behavior, otherwise you would never get any.

9 Comments:

At 7:10 PM, Blogger J said...

what is karen magazine? i don't get it . . .

i saw scandal in high school. i'll have to rent again. whatever happened to bridget fonda? she's kind of a bland actress. btw, is john hurt gay? publicly?

big love is good so far--i know others though who are bored by it. bill paxton does some semi-nude scenes--a lot! he's come a long way since weird science.

la la la la.

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

Karen is supposed to be a 'white knuckle ride of the mundane', with random pictures and snippets of conversation from Karen's village.

Maybe I'm wrong about John Hurt but I can't imagine he's straight, can you?

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger pinky pinkerson said...

I love that - "white knuckle ride of the mundane." That's great.

I have 2 eps of Big Love on the DVR to watch - (whine) why does Chloe Sevigny have to be in EVERYTHING!

Is the Kilmer in Joanne Whalley-Kilmer because she was married to the highly unfortunate Val Kilmer? I think she was, once upon a time.

 
At 11:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched those 2 eps of Big Love on free HBO weekend and thought they were pretty good, but now free HBO is gone, and there's no more Big Love for me.

Bill Paxton was in Weird Science? Wow, that was twenty years ago. Wow.

All I know about John Hurt is that he is not an animal! He is a human being! Wow, that was twenty-SIX years ago.

I am so old.

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger Marianne said...

Joanne W-K WAS married to Val, back when he was hot and not highly unfortunate. I've said it before and I'll say it again - age is a cruel mistress. So are coke and alcohol.

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger J said...

ok, i totally get karen magazine now after some web surfing. sounds great. (i mistakenly thought it was all about one individual--karen. but it's kind of like jane magazine, except not lame.)

i had suspected john hurt but i think he may lead a straight life in the public eye. maybe he's just one of those sorta effeminate men who like pussy.

i have the weird science song in my head. please help me!

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger christa said...

weird science... did you know kelly lebrock was on the last season of "celebrity fit club"?

oops, that's on VH1 -- standard cable. sorry.

 
At 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember a "Simpsons" in which the sign outside the Springfield Community Church advertised the Sunday sermon as "The Miracle of Shame." It's an emotion that doesn't get a lot of play these days, but it may be spoiling for a comeback. Will it ever knock schadenfreude out of the top spot? Will dark horse weltschmerz come from behind to claim an 11th hour victory? Only time will tell!

 
At 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yo, where da knit pistachio at?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home