Mars

Hi, The point (if there is a point) of this blog is to post liner notes and playlists of mix CDs originating from moi and hopefully fanning out into a chain of mix CDs. If you get a CD from me, make me and a friend one, and email me some liner notes and I'll post them. Then your friend should make you and someone else a mix CD etc etc. Maybe it will work PS If you want to be on my knit list, let me know what you want and I'll see what I can do!

Friday, May 05, 2006

All work and no play

I saw this interesting post by Germaine Greer in the The Guardian.

Her premise is that most women's leisure activities are a variation of work (shopping, grooming, cooking etc) and I'm not entirely sure I agree with her.

I do totally agree with her about shopping; I hate going to the mall, and I hate shopping although I love clothes. I think going clothes shopping with friends is the most mind-numbing, boring, spirit breaking activity in existence. Which is why I don't do it except as an occasional act of love.

Grooming things like getting your hair done or manicures are pretty enjoyable, in my opinion. And honestly, I think the physical difference when you get your hair or nails done is pretty minimal; it's more of a psychological boost. Whatever anyone does to me, I still look pretty much the same, more's the pity, but I feel better.

And I have long held the opinion that looking down on 'domestic pursuits' is kind of anti-woman, given that we have historically cooked and cleaned and sewed; I much prefer this perspective. I like cooking and sewing and knitting; I like that I don't HAVE to do it, but that I can, and it makes my life a little cozier. And I appreciate men who can do these things too.

I think you could make the argument that 'male' leisure past-times are also variants of work in that a lot of them are basically hunting in one form or another.

Here's my list of leisure activities I do enjoy, that I do too little of these days. I've omitted the carnal ones because they're a given, and trump anything else on this list.

  • Getting mildly buzzed and listening to good music, either live or on CD
  • OK, this one's lame. Board games, especially those with some charade-type component. But only with people I know well.
  • Being on a boat with a beer at sunset.
  • Climbing a cold, windy Scottish hill with a flask of spiked coffee and then boiling eggs on a propane stove for lunch.
  • Seeing some challenging, thought-provoking performance.
  • Reading a good newspaper with a giant pot of coffee by my side.
  • Sledding with my son and then coming inside for hot chocolate.
  • People watching in a city square or park or piazza.
  • Hiking all day with friends and then going home and making a huge pot of pasta and drinking too much wine with said friends.
  • Snoozing in a hammock.
  • Travelling somewhere I've never been, with no itinerary and no plans.
  • Getting a giggle fit. I make no apologies for the dorkiness of this list. On a related note, my work as a mom is worth $86,010, according to mom.salary.com. Though I'm kind of a crappy mom, so maybe it would be more like $70,000. Still, not shabby!

    I'm just waiting for the Christian Right to ban the tritone interval. It always sends a pleasant shiver up my spine whenever I hear it.

    I guess they're too busy trying to boycott The Da Vinci Code movie. I want to boycott it too, but not for religious reasons; just that it's based on a crappy, crappy book written by a total hack (who is two years younger than me!) and Tom Hanks hair in it skeeves me out.

  • 6 Comments:

    At 9:13 AM, Blogger Marianne said...

    I absolutely adore men who can cook. Especially those who can open up the fridge and just make something yummy. I don't trust anyone who doesn't like eating.

     
    At 4:55 PM, Blogger pinky pinkerson said...

    Ah, Tyler. He's dreamy.

    I'm torn about the Da Vinci Code - yes, it is annoying, but it has Audrey Tautou in it, and I've seen almost all of her movies. I heart Audrey.

    (I will admit, that I did read the DVC a few years ago, and it read just like eating a bag of potato chips feels....like eating. or reading. you get what I'm trying to say)

     
    At 12:24 PM, Blogger J said...

    pinky, i think what you are trying to say is that reading the DVC was very much like reading the DVC. i agree!

    the weather is crappy today so i'm going to enjoy one of my fave leisure activities: two-handed ma--, i mean, reading and snoozing on the couch.

     
    At 1:41 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

    I would much rather eat a bag of potato chips than read the DVC.

    And I love Audrey Tatou as well, because she will always be Amelie to me.

    And Mykull - could you draw your blinds please? Thanks.

     
    At 8:25 PM, Blogger J said...

    but your son pays me big bucks not to. can you raise his offer?

     
    At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I just get depressed when I think about fabulously rich and successful people who are younger than me. Especially if they are total hacks. There's a lot of them out there.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home