Mars

Hi, The point (if there is a point) of this blog is to post liner notes and playlists of mix CDs originating from moi and hopefully fanning out into a chain of mix CDs. If you get a CD from me, make me and a friend one, and email me some liner notes and I'll post them. Then your friend should make you and someone else a mix CD etc etc. Maybe it will work PS If you want to be on my knit list, let me know what you want and I'll see what I can do!

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Entertain Me...

There's this competition that happens every year in Europe, the Eurovision Song Contest, which is a cheesefest of spectacular portions. It always features the cruddiest music ever, with the odd gem. Also featured are the very best in shiny, tight catsuits and other nationality transcending fashions.

It was compulsory viewing for me and my sisters growing up, when we were little and thought glamor was measured by how shiny your lipgloss was, and how high your platform boots were. For some reason, this year's competition registered on my radar, probably because the contestants were so ludicrous. The winners sound like Alice Cooper with laryngitis singing the theme song to an anime cartoon.

This is pretty entertaining. Hard to believe the Sex Pistol's interview was considered shocking at the time, because they said 'Fuck' and 'Shit'. It seems so tame now, when Pete Doherty does things like this.

Women now are apparently all regarded by the government as pre-pregnant, and are supposed to treat themselves accordingly. So basically, the premise is that because so many pregnancies are unplanned, women should just act like it's likely to happen. Of course, as it gets harder and harder to obtain contraception, maybe this is actually becoming true. The only upside is maybe I can get my son to clean the cat's litterbox, as cat poop is like kryptonite to pregos.

Here is a nice summary of a woman's experience of a British summer. I'm still guilty of the last three every summer.

I finally got to meet Jenny, who is beautiful and funny and charming. Jerry, you are the only holdout from my People list....

22 Comments:

At 8:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry; I don't actually exist. I'm just a fairly sophisticated Turing test.

Actually, truth be known, I ain't all that sophisticated, either.

 
At 6:19 AM, Blogger Marianne said...

Absolutely! But only if we can wear silver catsuits.

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger pinky pinkerson said...

if Minty and Marianne wore silver catsuits, I'd buy a ticket!

I'm thinking we should arrange a little get-together, y'all. I have Family Fatigue at the moment (four days at the family homestead! woo!) but soon I will be perky again.

 
At 10:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know who's beautiful and funny and charming???? Marianne. It's a mutual lovefest.

I'm all about a little get-together, and also would wear a silver catsuit, but only if someone agreed to do my hair a la Farrah circa 1979.

My word verification is oqoojcd: weird.

Oh, quite original opinions Jenny can do.

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

Marianne and Jenny, sittin' in a tree...

And Pinky, I'm all on for a get-together once you have recovered from your family fatigue!

 
At 7:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would overcome my non-existent nature for such a get-together.

 
At 10:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So who's needing to arrange this get together? I bet this weekend is not so great, though I'll be in town. Weekend or weekday? Durham or CH?

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger pinky pinkerson said...

this weekend - pretty busy for me. and I will always vote for CH, although I know I'm outnumbered.

 
At 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vote CH, but not this weekend.

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

Anywhere anytime if you don't mind mini-me tagging along. But if you want a kid-free dealie, my son is going on a field trip on the 6th and 7th so those would be excellent nights.

Mykull will have to cancel my gigolo.

 
At 5:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I Hereby Nominate June 6th or 7th As The Date For The Fun Get Together Of People Commenting Here And Other People We Like, Including Those Who Capitalize All The First Letters.

 
At 6:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unless Boy wants to come. He's charming. Then we can make it a day when he can come.

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

I think that depends on how everyone else feels about having a kid around...

Either works for me!

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger pinky pinkerson said...

I have no problem with any child of Marianne's. As long as you don't bring that other one that you keep in the cellar.

 
At 5:31 AM, Blogger Marianne said...

Ignatius (he DOES have a name you know) told me to tell you in his own succinct way, that it was a little hurtful to exclude him from the invitation, but that anyway, he is reluctant to leave his dank, subterrean lair as his mole experiments have reached a critical juncture. Plus he doesn't want to miss the tail end of this year's spectacular slug crop.

He did ask for some Lamisil, as his webrot is rendering him rather uncomfortable.

 
At 8:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

June 1st is not good for me. Any other time, though!

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger pinky pinkerson said...

I'd get Ignatius some Lamisil, but my @#$@!! health insurance doesn't cover it!

(don't ask how I know this)

 
At 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But PINKY, it's OTC now, you yeast infection girly you! (libel! LIBEL!!!)

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger pinky pinkerson said...

heh - that's not what I, er - a friend needed it for :-)

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger christa said...

i vote for the 7th!
(if i in fact deserve voting privileges, seeing as i'm only now chiming in.)

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Marianne said...

Looks like it's the 7th - watch your mailboxes!

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

WEDNESDAY THE 7TH!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home