Mars

Hi, The point (if there is a point) of this blog is to post liner notes and playlists of mix CDs originating from moi and hopefully fanning out into a chain of mix CDs. If you get a CD from me, make me and a friend one, and email me some liner notes and I'll post them. Then your friend should make you and someone else a mix CD etc etc. Maybe it will work PS If you want to be on my knit list, let me know what you want and I'll see what I can do!

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Oh Mother

Well, it's Mother's Day, and fittingly, I am channeling my inner Ma Walton, waking up to a houseful (four) of kids. Even though it's more work, I absolutely love when kids sleep over at my house. It makes it feel so cozy, and I like making chocolate chip pancakes and bacon for them, which I would never do for just myself and my son. My son had his birthday party yesterday, which consisted of putting up his soccer goal and his volleyball net, making some birthday treats, ordering in some Chinese and staying the hell out of the way of the kids.

I saw something really weird; my son was goofing around with his friends, and I noticed him doing the exactly the same kind of funny dancing schtick with them that my ex-husband used to do, which of course he has never seen. So bizarre.

The other thing that intrigues me about my son is I think he's popular. I was never, and will never be, popular (or unpopular for that matter). I think I'm just kind of a quiet eccentric, which is ok by me.

Here are some family values I can really get behind. And here is the logical conclusion of Bush's anti-women, anti-sex education, anti-contraception and anti-abortion flavor of family values (even though it's in the UK, but you know what I mean).

Two awesome visionaries bought the farm recently, J.K. Galbraith and Jane Jacobs. I think if I had known Galbraith, I would have had an almighty crush on him; arrogant, charismatic, and an advocate for the underdog. Sigh. He wrote a critique of the American way of life, The Affluent Society, which took issue with living in affluence amid public squalor, and was involved with implementing the New Deal.

Jane Jacobs was an aficionado of urban life. Not the faux communities that seem to be the mode now, but real urban life, with neighborhood hangouts and corner shops and real characters.

Some wonderful person scanned Rosy Grier's Needlepoint for Men and posted it on Flicker. Needlepoint and knitting both use graphs, so I could knit from those charts, and I am absolutely itching to knit a Samurai bag.

10 Comments:

At 10:40 AM, Blogger Marianne said...

I was just re-reading my post and I'm slightly squicked out by having the words 'abortion' and 'flavor' next to each other. Ewwww. I hope no-one is eating when they read this.

 
At 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had never heard the term "fell pregnant" before. That's an interesting way of putting it. Like "fell ill" or "fell asleep."

Rosey Grier is also responsible for telling a generation of boys that "It's All Right To Cry" (from the TV show/album "Free To Be You And Me"). I'm not sure where Rosey went to grade school, but it wasn't really so much all right to cry where I grew up. Thanks for the well-intentioned, if unfounded, idealism, Rosey!

Happy Birthday to the lad, and Happy Mother's Day to you.

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

I think Rosey could embrace his inner sissy in a way few men can, weighing 300lbs and being 7 feet tall. Who would argue?

I love that phrase 'fell pregnant'. It suggests there's something involuntary or accidental about the whole thing, rather than the well-deserved consequence of succumbing to Satan's siren call.

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger pinky pinkerson said...

you're one of the coolest moms I know, marianne, happy day to you!

(it's all right to cry! jerry just brought a tear of nostalgia to my jaundiced eye)

 
At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marianne? I made chocolate chip pancakes yesterday too!

Hillsborough eggs, NC eggs, and not NC chocolate chips.

But OMG they were good!!!

I saved the batter in the fridge and had a couple more for breakfast this morning. It's amazing how if you make the batter ahead of time and have a nicely seasoned cast iron pan sitting around you can make pancakes in less time than toast.

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger J said...

can you needlepoint a boyfriend for me? or set me up on a date w/rosy grier? his clothing style is H-O-T!

 
At 11:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want a needlepointed bf too! No fair! Making Choc. Chip Pancakes now to fill the void.

 
At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd make either:
Charlie Chaplin
http://www.flickr.com/photos/extremecraft/21109043/in/set-491625/

or

The Gangster
http://www.flickr.com/photos/extremecraft/21107797/in/set-491625/

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

I like the Gangster too but I have to say that Chaplin looks like a girl. With a moustache.

 
At 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the gangster better, also.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home