Mars

Hi, The point (if there is a point) of this blog is to post liner notes and playlists of mix CDs originating from moi and hopefully fanning out into a chain of mix CDs. If you get a CD from me, make me and a friend one, and email me some liner notes and I'll post them. Then your friend should make you and someone else a mix CD etc etc. Maybe it will work PS If you want to be on my knit list, let me know what you want and I'll see what I can do!

Sunday, May 28, 2006

A Philosophical Question

My son absolutely cracks me up sometimes. We were in the car the other day, and he asked me 'What does a booger smell like, mom?', which made me laugh and laugh and laugh. Because really, who would know?

I'm amazed at how the internet can stretch out people's allotted fifteen minutes of fame. This man accidentally ended up on air as a pundit en route to a job interview on the BBC. Though I have to say, a lot of times pundits just restate the bleeding obvious, but with authority and confidence. Especially the financial and health pundits. Though I like Suze Orman, because she touches on the psychological aspects of money. And what qualifies this man to give advice about health and money?

I'm trying to be more mindful about consumption; I'm not doing fabulously, but given that I have a raging sweet tooth, I'm trying to eat this chocolate rather than more contentious brands.

It's been twenty years since Newsweek's infamous study. What I can't get over is the whole focus on women - like men don't want to be married? I think every single person in the world dreams of meeting their soulmate, but (Western) women now have economic power which changes the imperative of marrying from need to want. Very definitely a positive development for everyone concerned, I would think.

And I can't even say anything about the earthquake which is unspeakably tragic. Please consider making a donation.

6 Comments:

At 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your son is not only funny, he has excellent taste! I had a ton of fun playing with y'all yesterday...

About chocolate: another bonus of not going with Nestle is that you get a much better taste with your happy brand. I had to do a quick search on Cadbury, though. I am sure that it's probably just as socially evil in its own way, but for now I will continue to gorge on a fruit and nut bar for my low-brow chocolate binges.

 
At 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't that Newsweek study turn out to be mostly crap, anyway? I think I read that in "Backlash," at least in the few pages of it that I read. Now I just keep the book on my shelves to try to make myself more attractive to feminist chicks.

Anyway, after that Newsweek study came out, a guy named Colin McEnroe wrote a humor piece suggesting that women over 40 should just marry terrorists, turning two negatives into a positive.

Remember when jokes about terrorists used to be funny?

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

Hey Jerry

Does it work (keeping feminist books on your shelves)? Inquiring minds want to know...

 
At 6:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not really. I probably shouldn't keep "Backlash" next to my bound collection of "Hustler."

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

Hi Jerry

You are not a comment killer - you are the giver of life to comments. See, I'm making one now!

 
At 7:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww. You're sweet. But now, you'll have to respond to THIS comment, just to prove that IT wasn't a comment killer. Where will it all end? What have I done? What horrors have I unleashed?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home