Mars

Hi, The point (if there is a point) of this blog is to post liner notes and playlists of mix CDs originating from moi and hopefully fanning out into a chain of mix CDs. If you get a CD from me, make me and a friend one, and email me some liner notes and I'll post them. Then your friend should make you and someone else a mix CD etc etc. Maybe it will work PS If you want to be on my knit list, let me know what you want and I'll see what I can do!

Monday, November 21, 2005

Once Upon A Time...

Here's a couple of news items that sound exactly like something out of a fairytale - a tiny village that lies at the foot of a mountain, which is so dark and gloomy in the winter that it uses mirrors to bring warmth and light to the villagers. And a rarely blooming, bad-smelling plant which draws crowds from miles around.

I really hate those St. Jude Thanks and Giving campaign. It's a good cause and everything, but the extreme close-ups of celebrities on a movie theater sized screen are just distressing to me. What is the deal with celebrities and bad skin? SJP, Morgan Freeman, Ray Romano (dude, could you at least shave for a public service-y announcement?). Bad skin, all of them.

I love the knitted DNA (scroll down to the bottom). Or maybe a nosecone which looks kind of fairytaleish in a medieval Heironymous Bosch-y way.

Apparently, spanking your kids makes them more aggressive and hostile. Well, duh. There's also the whole issue of parental anger and spanking being a manifestation of it, rather than a considered punishment. It's pretty hard to be mellow if you know you're going to get whacked upside the head if your mom's day sucked. I would venture to say most spanking is an exasperated spur of the moment thing rather than a considered parenting strategy. Though there are books that tell you how to do it right.

The last survivor of the World War I Christmas Truce has died. I always thought it was so weird that after a day of embracing the enemy and seeing them as human beings that the next day it was war as usual. It's also a reminder of the power of the individual; if those soldiers had the belief that they had that power, could they have changed history? Or do we always instill our leaders with that kind of authority but never ourselves?

4 Comments:

At 11:03 AM, Blogger pinky pinkerson said...

would you make me a knitted cake for Christmas? I've seen knitted uteri, knitted appliances, knitted food - I suspect that people ran out of friends and family to give sweaters, mittens, and scarves to, whenever I see something like that.

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger christa said...

let's see. how many famously bad complexions can we name?

edward james olmos? doesn't he have bad skin?

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger Marianne said...

Hey Pinky

I even saw a knitted treehouse in a magazine which I thought was way cool. I have to admit, I'm pretty addicted to knitting, so I understand the 'knitted everything' syndrome. I'll be happy to knit you a cake - but maybe I won't make it before Christmas as I foolishly embarked on a crafty/money-saving kick to knit Christmas presents and I'm backed up at the moment (in a knitting sense). Would you like a cherry on the top - of course you would!

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger pinky pinkerson said...

hell yes I would!

(I'd take a knitted cupcake - I almost bought a knit cupcake ornament at Anthropologie, but you know - I have no need for ornaments)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home