Mars

Hi, The point (if there is a point) of this blog is to post liner notes and playlists of mix CDs originating from moi and hopefully fanning out into a chain of mix CDs. If you get a CD from me, make me and a friend one, and email me some liner notes and I'll post them. Then your friend should make you and someone else a mix CD etc etc. Maybe it will work PS If you want to be on my knit list, let me know what you want and I'll see what I can do!

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Happy Hogmanay

Phew! I feel it's quite a slog from Thanksgiving through to the New Year. I kind of find it hard to summon up the enthusiasm for New Year's, unlike when I lived in Scotland, when everything started later and you basically got two weeks off from work, and so you weren't completely stuffed by rich food and celebrated out by December 31st.

Anyway, I think I'll take a page from Minty's playbook, and recall some of the media type thingies I enjoyed this year:

Music

I LOVED the mix CDs I got from people, and I'm looking forward to getting some more from those of you who haven't made one yet (hint, hint). Of the live music shows I saw this year (Aimee Mann, Sigur Ros and the Stones), Sigur Ros was by far and away the best. And I'm bummed I didn't see the Pixies when they were here. I also really enjoyed seeing the St. Nicholas cantata at Duke Chapel with the Choral Society of Durham, and the Durham Children's Choir (one of whom is my son).

Movies

My favorite movie of the year was Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Wererabbit. I want a dog like Gromit. Luckily, I didn't see too many movies this year as there seemed to be a lot of really sucky ones, though unfortunately, I did see Mirrormask.

Books

Thanks to Mykull, I got tons of reading done: I really enjoyed Emotionally Weird, On Beauty, Little Children and A Portrait of Yo Mama as a Young Man among others. I could not make it through Specimen Days, much as I felt I ought to.

Before the festive season vanishes for good, this is the most heinous card ever (via Metafilter). Makes you wish the War on Christmas was well and truly lost. I never want to see a camel with lipstick on again.

And here are my predictions for 2006:

  • Katie Holmes will give birth (silently) to Rosemary's baby
  • Delay and Rove will be let off the hook to slime another day
  • Further chipping away of our civil liberties
  • Super annoying Crazy Frog will cross the Atlantic (I love the ubiquity of pop culture phenomenona in the UK; it just doesn't happen here). And I love his little froggie weiner.
  • I will make good on wagers I had with various people about life being more interesting than it turned out to be this year. Though I suppose nothing much happening is better than bad stuff happening.

  • 2 Comments:

    At 8:43 AM, Blogger Marianne said...

    And the line about "trickin' through the desert" (I think it's supposed to be "trekkin' through the desert", but that's not how I hear it). I too find that card strangely compelling.

    Of course you may borrow those books, sweetie!

    wwlpd = what would lascivious podiatrists do?

     
    At 8:15 PM, Blogger pinky pinkerson said...

    oh my god. that card!!!

    I have to admit, I only found that Black Eyed Peas song (who the hell calls their chest their "humps" anyway?) because Slate had an article about it being the most painful song ever.

    I agreed. But a christmas card BASED on the most painful song ever....is even more painful. eeeeeeeeeurgh.

    And the crazy frog stopped Coldplay from being #1, didn't it? That can't be a bad thing. For some reason ever since Mr. Coldplay became Mr. Paltrow I really have no time for him or his band. but i'm petty like that.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home