Mars

Hi, The point (if there is a point) of this blog is to post liner notes and playlists of mix CDs originating from moi and hopefully fanning out into a chain of mix CDs. If you get a CD from me, make me and a friend one, and email me some liner notes and I'll post them. Then your friend should make you and someone else a mix CD etc etc. Maybe it will work PS If you want to be on my knit list, let me know what you want and I'll see what I can do!

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Communication Breakdown

I have a lovely life. I literally go for years and years and years without enduring any serious kind of conflict with anyone. Much of this is because I am a big pap - I just kind of go with the flow. But I'm learning to hate email this week. Email is fine for arranging to meet for a movie or for a snarky aside about someone at work, but it is fucking horrible otherwise. And this is why. Your tone and your intent is very hard to discern, and subject to both the sender's and receiver's pre-conceived notions and stereotypes. So the answer is to pick up the phone.

Politicians in Britain are falling over themselves trying to be hip and down with the kids. It's a bit on the lame side, I have to say, and I would think a never ending challenge. It does seem to be largely a British phenomenon, but there's some here too. It's still preferable to embracing these values.

My son just went outside and told me it's hailing. I love that dramatic weather. As long as it doesn't hurt my already beat-up car.

Could Borat ask for better publicity?

7 Comments:

At 9:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But Marianne, the telephone terrifies me so. Please don't make me talk on the phone! I promise I'll try to make my tone and intent clear through e-mail!

 
At 9:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang, I hope the hail at your house wasn't that big! Would be exciting, though.

I love Borat. I hope the Borat movie is better than the Ali G movie. When will there be a Bruno movie?

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

Jerry, I will make you express yourself through the magic of mime.

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger pinky pinkerson said...

i'm scared of the phone too. i never know how to end conversations, and I loathe awkwardness so much that my stomach is tying itself in a knot just thinking about it!

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger J said...

i hate talking on the phone. i'm all about the e-mail. btw, when i sent you that e-mail addressed "yo fucking bitch," what i meant was, "dear tender lamb."

can't wait to see borat!

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

And that email I sent to you saying "i hate your fucking homo guts" really meant "i love you and your awesome artistic dress sense".

 
At 9:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jerrypants is really good at conveying tone and intent through writing. Of course, I contend that he's good at anything written. So yeah. Make him do mime anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home