Mars

Hi, The point (if there is a point) of this blog is to post liner notes and playlists of mix CDs originating from moi and hopefully fanning out into a chain of mix CDs. If you get a CD from me, make me and a friend one, and email me some liner notes and I'll post them. Then your friend should make you and someone else a mix CD etc etc. Maybe it will work PS If you want to be on my knit list, let me know what you want and I'll see what I can do!

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Sex, Death and Music

Apparently, these are the most popular songs to play at a funeral. Are people really that cheesy? It reminds me of that Noel Coward quote, "Extraordinary how potent cheap music is". If I buy the farm, I would just like a cadre of chanting monks. Not chanting "My Heart Will Go On", I hasten to add.

It made me think about songs that make you cringe. Sometimes When We Touch has got to be on top of my list. Unless Mykull is singing it to me, in which case I melt. Here's some other candidates:

  • Lady In Red - Chris de Burgh
  • Strokin' - Clarence Carter
  • You Light Up My Life - Debbi Boone
  • Honey - Bobby Goldsboro
  • You're Having My Baby - Paul Anka
  • Vincent - Don McLean
  • I Feel Like A Woman - Shania Twain And after looked at the lyrics of all of these, I have to say the squickiest is "You're having my baby". If anyone ever knocks me up and is tempted to play this song, I will personally castrate them with a rusty pair of blunt scissors.

    Here's an interesting concept; a vibrator controlled by your iPod music. Original idea, but you would have to get your playlist exactly right.

    Well, my annual pumpkin carving party is fast approaching, and I would love to make some gory food. Especially that bloody heart - it's awesome.

  • 9 Comments:

    At 9:16 PM, Blogger J said...

    Marianne,

    At times, I think we're drifters
    Still searching for a friend
    A brother or a sister
    But then the passion flares again.

    True dat.

    Mykull

     
    At 7:23 AM, Blogger Marianne said...

    Mykull, you so right. Because you know...

    At times, I'd like to break you
    And drive you to your knees

    But I think that's because I'm a prize fighter still trapped within my youth. I'm counting on you to find my truth, baby.

     
    At 7:59 AM, Blogger pinky pinkerson said...

    that bloody heart made me gag. and it's only jello!

    i remember seeing something on an MTV show when I was a kid about "punk rock caterers" who did funny things like float baby dolls in jello and things like that. I think they did halloween parties, but my rusty memory is failing me. maybe they just really liked to put baby dolls in jello.

     
    At 12:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The only way that "Wind Beneath My Wings" will be heard at any ceremony involving me will, in fact, be over my dead body. So, I guess it's all right after all.

     
    At 12:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Who's the bearded Karaoke guy??? I feel so left out!

    I profess loving cheesy music. Except something like "Muskrat Love."

     
    At 6:26 AM, Blogger Marianne said...

    His rendition of Strokin' was just.... words failed me then and they fail me know.

    Suffice to say I think it had been some time since he had done any kind of stroking except the self-administered kind.

     
    At 8:52 AM, Blogger J said...

    At least he wasn't singing Billy Squier's "Stroke Me." (Or wait, was he? I tried to put it out of my mind.)

     
    At 10:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Who's the bearded Karaoke guy??? Waaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!!!! nobody's answering my questions.

    Minty: I only knew the title. Wow.

     
    At 9:53 AM, Blogger pinky pinkerson said...

    stew - he was a creepy dude who performed at a karaoke night that many of the people above went to. was I there? I think I was. maybe I was drunk - I have to be to sing in public!

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home