Mars

Hi, The point (if there is a point) of this blog is to post liner notes and playlists of mix CDs originating from moi and hopefully fanning out into a chain of mix CDs. If you get a CD from me, make me and a friend one, and email me some liner notes and I'll post them. Then your friend should make you and someone else a mix CD etc etc. Maybe it will work PS If you want to be on my knit list, let me know what you want and I'll see what I can do!

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Birth Of A Nation's Cuisine

The State Fair, with it's stunning array of fried food, including deep fried coke, as mentioned by my dear friend, reminds me of Scotland's role in creating these wonderful gastronomic delights.

Scotland, home of the deep fried Mars bar, mother of all deep-fried desserts, and of the deep fried pizza, an exercise in total deep frying redundancy. Imagine, if you will, an individual frozen pizza the size of a salad plate, immersed in it's bath of molten beef tallow and plumping up to the size of a tractor tyre. Imagine biting into it's yielding crust and the hot, meaty, oil spurting down your chin. Other Scottish delicacies include the baked bean pie, topped with mashed potato, and the macaroni cheese pie. The anti-Atkins diet, if you will. Mmmmmm! No wonder Scotland has such a stellar health record.

Yet another exhibit to prove my deep nerdiness; I love maps. I love that there is no such thing as a 'definitive' map. I love looking at familiar places in lots of different ways.

Sometimes, a respected source seems to state the bleeding obvious. I mean, it's obvious on an intuitive level, although I think it complicates a lot of issues to think this way rather than in polarities. I like Susan Greenfield's article in Science & Spirit. That looks like an awesome magazine.

2 Comments:

At 2:05 PM, Blogger pinky pinkerson said...

I always thought it was funny that the fried miscellany trend started in Scotland.

I've yet to get a first-hand review of the deep fried cheeseburger. Shiver.

 
At 6:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They don't batter the pizza first?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home