Mars

Hi, The point (if there is a point) of this blog is to post liner notes and playlists of mix CDs originating from moi and hopefully fanning out into a chain of mix CDs. If you get a CD from me, make me and a friend one, and email me some liner notes and I'll post them. Then your friend should make you and someone else a mix CD etc etc. Maybe it will work PS If you want to be on my knit list, let me know what you want and I'll see what I can do!

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Another year over..

Of my years that is, as tomorrow celebrates the start of my forty-fifth year. God, that sounds so ancient. Though I'm happy I got carded TWICE in the last month. My lovely friends are doing lots of nice things for my birthday, and my son made me a sweet card with an anime cat angel on it. Nothing says happy birthday like an anime cat angel.

Well, the mid-term election results were certainly a great birthday present. Is it wrong that I think it's funny that a dead candidate won the race for a seat on the Union County Soil Conservation board? If he was buried, then he's certainly doing his part. And did Comedy Central really break the Donald Rumsfeld story?

I'm reading Antonia Fraser's bio of Marie Antoinette. It's absolutely fascinating, and you can definitely see parallels between how royalty was treated and how we treat celebrities today. And the role of clothing, and jewellery in terms of how Marie Antoinette was regarded by the populace is pretty interesting.

This piece about the off-season vacation almost perfectly describes most of the off- and on-season vacations I have had in Britain. I always feel a vacation is not complete without one shitty day with nothing to do other than drink. Speaking of which, I have a birthday snifter to enjoy on this rainy day, courtesy of Pinky.

8 Comments:

At 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You probably already know that you share a birthday with your countryman Robert Louis Stevenson, not to mention Chris Noth, Whoopi Goldberg, the Rev. Fred "God Hates Fags" Phelps, character actor Jack Elam and Union General Joseph Hooker. But were you aware than on Nov. 13, 1002, English king Ethelred ordered the killing of all Danes in England (known today as the St. Brice's Day massacre)? Or that on Nov. 13, 1960, Sammy Davis, Jr. married Swedish actress May Britt? Or that on Nov. 13, 1990, the World Wide Web first began?

I'm especially grateful for that last one, since it more or less is responsible for my having met you, which was certainly a highlight of my recently-concluded 38th year.

Here's to your 45th year! Huzzah! Qdzmiu! Long may you wave!

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger J said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JEEBIES! I am very thankful that you are only 45 years young, because it means we have at least 55 more years of being next-door neighbors. Yay!

 
At 12:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in a different time zone than you right now, but I think it's after midnight back there now, so HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

Can't wait to see you and wish you a happy one in person.

xoxoxoxo!

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Marianne said...

Thank you for your good wishes, my dear friends. And your prodigious research, Jerry. Let's renact the St. Brice's Day massacre tonight, substituting tamales for Danes. And I can be Ethelred (was he the Unready one?)

 
At 1:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, the Ethelred of the St. Brice's Day massacre was Ethelred the Unready, a.k.a Ethelred II. Not to be confused with King Ethelred I, Ethelred of Wessex (837-871).

Death to tamales! Once more into the breach!

 
At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh no! blogger beta users can't post comments on non blogger beta users pages!!

 
At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

or wait, we can. it's very confusing.

ahem - what I was going to say, was this:

I will eat as many tamales as it takes to ensure the happiness of this, your day of birth!

happy birthday, gorgeous!

 
At 1:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!! My day is dedicated to providing tamale happiness for you!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home